Next step and it's a big one. Resignation. Once that puppys put in you are pretty much committed. So, early December 2012, I send the note to my supervisor. I've chosen my date, March 27th, 2013. It's the last payday of the fiscal year. That should make it simple for everyone - one would think.
I wait, surely someone will send me something to sign. It's close to Christmas so maybe everything is caught up in the great bulk of seasonal mail. Mid-January, still nothing. Our Pay and Benefits office has been combined into units. The person I've been dealing with has disappeared. Hmm, maybe I should send an email - no phone numbers have been given out. I send a note, everything okay I ask. Did my information get transferred over? I am assured that everyone is aware. Will I get papers? Not to worry we have lots of time. Do we??
Next up - we need to vote on a new contract. Yeah! We`ve been without since August 2011. Retro-active pay will help the cause. After the vote a collegue comes to see me. Hands me a booklet entitled ``Retiring from the Public Service`` - some useful tips. Have you seen this - why no I had NOT seen that. It has been like a bible to me. A step by step booklet provided by the union. How nice is that. Suddenly I am finding answers to questions I`ve been asking but no one has been able to provide. And looky here a phone number to call.
I make the call - and a very lovely women answers the phone. She is so excited for me me. She congratulates me. Tells me the thing I`ve been longing to hear - this is what you needed to do. You needed to call me. Now I`ve been pondering this for months. I`ve spoken with our Human Resource people. I`ve spoken to our Pay & Benefits people. No one, not one, told me to call the number in the booklet.
The booklet explains it all! Medical, dental and death benefits. What options are open to you. What the consequences of some of your decisions could be. Information to help you make the right decisions. How you can get out of bad decisions. The women on the other end of the phone has answers too. This is exciting. Then the magic words `` I will put a package in the mail to you. There are forms to be signed``.
Yeah - I`m getting a package. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment